Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Save the ta-tas!

Did that get your attention??? As many of you know, my mom died as a result of breast cancer. I believe that she was 36 when she was diagnosed, so in December I am having a baseline mamogram. Well, yesterday I watched a tv special on channel 7 and it was about breast cancer. I thought that I would share the Internet link, because this is something that could happen to any one of us. I will admit this, I don't do the self breast exams as often as I should. I am getting better. I encourage you...better yet, challange...you to keep up on this!

http://www.wxyz.com/content/community/townhall/breastcancer/default.aspx

Some interesting facts...

- More than two million women are living with breast cancer.
- A new breast cancer case is diagnosed every 2.2 minutes.
- A woman dies from breast cancer every 13 minutes.
- Men develop breast cancer too, counting for approximately one percent of cases.
- White women are more likely to be diagnosed with breast cancer, while black women are more likely to die from the disease.
- More than 50 percent of breast cancers occur in women who have no identifiable risk factors other than age.
- Mammograms do not prevent breast cancer. They detect tumors, but can miss more than one-quarter of all breast cancers.
- Low income breast cancer patients have five-year relative survival rates that are nine percent lower than higher-income patients.
- Low-income black women are three times more likely than higher-income African American women to be diagnosed with advanced disease.

So, where did my title of this entry come from??? Have you ever heard of this site? http://www.savethetatas.com/home.htm

So, it is the holiday season. I thought that this was something that I could give to all of you. The gift of knowledge, support and love.

0 comments: